Thursday, January 1, 2009

I'm still not sure if I want to live in Japan or stay in America


I'm still not sure if I want to live in Japan or stay in America?
I'm going to make a pros and cons list later. Is that a good method of deciding or no? Japan is probably my favorite country in the world, I think. I can't verify that because I've never been there (I'm only 14 -.-) During the day, I always think about living in Japan, but at night I think it over and want to stay in America. So is a pros and cons list a good method to decide which country to live in? Additional question: I've heard that there are many smokers in Japan and they aren't permitted to smoke outside. Is this true? I was thinking of doing a foreign exchange program in college to see if I like it. Then, after college I will move there or not depending on if I did. I do actually love their culture, not just their anime. :)
Japan - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You just may want to finish college before you even think of moving to a country you've never been to. You can save up your money, and by the time you finish high school you'll have enough to take a trip to Japan and see for yourself if you like it or not. True, many Japanese smoke. But there are few no smoking areas in public.
2 :
To answer your additional question; there are some smokers in Japan but not to many people smoking as far as i could see. I do remember seeing at least one group of girls smoking outside but I don't know whether or not it is illegal. Also do you just like Japan because of anime etc or do you have a legit cultural interest and do you speak the language. If you like japan in college or even high school you could consider becoming a foreign exchange student. I personally also love Japan, however I do not agree with a lot of their government policies. Also Japan is an expensive place to live with a lot of taxes.
3 :
There is going to be a lot of homesickness. I went for just 2 weeks on a holiday, and I was already very lonely and ready to go home. Living there, there is a period after around 2 - 3 months where all you see is the bad aspects of Japan, and this is where a lot of people give up and move back home. I know this is hard to believe if you love Japan, but it really does happen. Anyway, I don't know if that actually answers your question, so in regards to that: Yes, a pros and cons list is a good idea. Just be sure you do thorough research however, and make sure you 'cons' list is fair and accurate. If you have lots of friends in America, and are close with your family, you may find it difficult to leave them, and it may be a good idea to stay in the USA, at least until you're a lot older. It's definitely a good idea to visit before making the big decision. And of course, you need that 4 year university degree. And although living there can be rewarding, spending all your time there 24/7 may make the experience tiring after a while. Of course, this may be hard to believe also, but it does happen too. Spending only a few weeks there at a time may keep Japan fresh and exciting to you. Don't forget, you can stay up to 3 months on a tourist visa if you can afford it. I don't mean to be trying to put you off Japan here, but I just know many people who hype Japan up to be the best place on Earth, and when they actually get there and realize it's an ordinary country, with many hardships of its own, actually leave there disappointed. I wish you all the best for the future, wherever it may be. :)
4 :
They made smoking illegal in one really busy area of either Tokyo or Osaka. The idea was that cigarettes held at waist height was face height for kids. So no smoking and walking. The overall smoking trend is going down, though I still think that there are more smokers here than in the U.S. As for you being in love with Japanese culture, how can you POSSIBLY say this when you haven't even visited? Anime? At the top of your 'con' list, make a note that 'Anime is not real and quite often not even a close reflection of reality.'
5 :
You are still very young and you will encounter things that might affect your decisions for the future. Foreigners may find it hard to live in Japan at first. My advice is do what is the most practical and best for everybody. You may start living in Japan when you are in your 30s or when you are financially stable in your country. Otherwise you'll be ending up setting up a tent as your house in the streets. If you wanted to live abroad like here in Japan, study hard especially in the Nihongo.