Wednesday, July 7, 2010

where is the best most comfortable place to live in Japan for Western people


where is the best most comfortable place to live in Japan for Western people?
where you can stay in touch with many Western culture and English speaking people ? How do I meet them? What most westerners do in Japan anyway ?
Japan - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
There's a America town in Osaka. But it's just a shopping area and run by Japanese. Tokyo and Osaka will have the most English speaking people. Most people teach English.
2 :
It's difficult to an extent. But in answering the last part of your question, what do westerners do in Japan, as Carl said, they teach English. Most teach English at English schools. And that is where you meet most of your foreign friends. The second option is at gaijin bars, which can be found in all the big cities. Fun, fun, let's go meet some drunk foreigners. Then there is a third option that you seem to have ignored. Since the population of Japan is about 98% Japanese, how about making some Japanese friends rather than trying to insulate yourself inside your previous culture? Just a thought, you know? @Pillbox.... you don't know me. Do I speak Japanese fluently? No. Can I struggle by? Yes. The last time I went out with some of my friends we discussed their religious beliefs regarding Buddhism. Seems that they knew very little about the actual doctrine, which I explained to them, with a lot of difficulty, but they got my point and were able to express their own views on the matter in a way that eventually got across to me. Does that count as small talk? Or something of a deeper and more complicated issue? You draw your own conclusions. Don't draw conclusions about someone when you have never met them or had a discussion with. An a**hole is easy to identify without actually being fluent in their native language. Easier to do so when you speak said language. I will leave you with the comment that if you speak Japanese fluently enough to work in a Japanese company, then I have admiration for you. I really do. But that doesn't give you the right to come down on others who simply struggle by, but generally get the job done. Blow your horn as loudly as you want. I'm happy with the friends that I have and the relationships that I have developed. NOTE 2: Yes, this was relayed in English, but one of the guys who speaks, well, decent English said he enjoyed the conversation about Buddhism. But I guess that Pillbox is the expert on the quality of the conversation and the enjoyment that the people there experienced, even though he wasn't there. Must be cool to be able to judge the conversations that other people have without actually being there, huh? NOTE @ Pillbox..... Nice deletion. Probably appropriate. Myself? I don't delete my posts. If people think I am wrong, I take my licks. But even in real life, I give as good as I take.
3 :
Most westerners or English speaking people live in the major cities of Japan which are Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya. The majority of these people work as English language instructors and usually hang out together. Where is the most comfortable place to live in Japan as a foreigner? I would say the most international place to live in Japan is either Yokohama or Kobe. Both are port cities with a large expat community and are very comfortable places to live. Yokohama is right next to Tokyo and Kobe is close to both Osaka and Kyoto, making them very convenient.
4 :
The best place to live in Japan would depend on what you prefer. If you would like to experience a more traditional Japan the countryside is the place to be. If you prefer a more modern definition a large city or suburb would work best. Be sure not to surround yourself with English speakers while you are here. You don't want to "insulate yourself inside your previous culture".
5 :
MT fuji where Cherry blossoms fall like snow in spring =) *only a dream*
6 :
Western Tokyo, especially Harajuku, Shinjuku, Roppongi
7 :
don't go to japan go to an english speaking place. most americans are teachers of english conversation,
8 :
How about Roppongi in Tokyo? There is an American School, Roppongi campus. http://community.asij.ac.jp/Page.aspx?pid=1831





Read more discussions :