Monday, June 21, 2010

I want to live in Japan and teach English as a Second Language. What do courses do I need to take in college


I want to live in Japan and teach English as a Second Language. What do courses do I need to take in college?
What do I need to do? Is it an ESL degree or just a certificate? I can't get any good answers from the internet and KGB is useless. Please someone help me out. To put it simply, someone tell me exactly how, starting in college, how to become an ESL teacher in Japan.
Teaching - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It's hard to say for certain. You can get course certificates but not all places may recognize them. I've always heard its better to get a full ba in order to get a job with a credited school.
2 :
You really MUST invest in either a field of study at college that covers ESL or take an external course (certificate) that will qualify you to do ESL - without this your 'native speaker understanding' of English will come under scrutiny & you'll loose face if you can't tackle grammar questions with confidence. I taught without it - just a university BA degree - but learnt on the run, not advisable as the ESL 'industry' is more competitive these days. If they run the JET programme, try that or just hit the streets of any major Japanese city & go see all the various ESL servicve providers. Make sure you present well, look keen & be polite.






Read more discussions :