Friday, May 7, 2010

How do you live in Japan


How do you live in Japan?
I want to live in Japan because i love their culture and the big cities and the technology and everything. But i was reading and it said that they dont like foreigners and such. And also what kind of jobs would I be able to get and could i be a citizen since i am american?
Japan - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
That is absolutely incorrect... I was there for nearly 3 years and had a splendid time. Though there is a language barrier.. it is an awesome place to live, plus you'll find there's lots of people from all over the world there, being in the same situation as yourself
2 :
Most Americans teach English. You need a four year degree to do this. You also need a solid job offer and a work visa before you go there. Unless you have a special skill a Japanese doesn't have, the chances of finding work are slim to done. Jobs will always go to a native Japanese first. Citizenship is very hard to get. Even if you marry a native Japanese it would take over five years. And then you will always be looked at as a gaijin. In the unlikely chance you did get it, you would have to renounce your American citizenship. Sorry, moving to Japan is no easy task as they don't allow anyone to just move there.
3 :
Living in Japan is really hard because housing is soooooooooo expensive. When applying for a job, show them skills that they don't have. They like Americans and are generally nice to them. You could teach English in a school or something. It's way fun, but super hard too.
4 :
Hi, Well I've lived in Japan for the past 7 years and I love being here. I am actually a primary school teacher by profession (trained in the UK), so teaching is my thing. I have also moved into doing some writing in Japan as I have developed my network here. I have never had a problem because I am 'foreign'. It is true that in Japanese culture there is the way of being 'inside' or 'outside' the group - and in that sense you will probably always be 'outside'. But I have never felt that I'm not liked just because I'm foreign. Jobs - well teaching is the main one for a lot of people. You do need a 4 year degree - this is essential. To qualify for a work visa - which you will need - you have to have a degree. I guess the majority of people who come here start with conversation schools and then move on if they are serious about staying. My home is Tokyo - if you want to know a little more about it see the site about Tokyo below. It's a lot of fun living here : )






Read more discussions :