Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I've always wanted to live in Japan, but an American degree


I've always wanted to live in Japan, but an American degree?
Okay, I really like planning ahead in my life. I really want to go to college and get a job in the medical field. Now, I'm no where near college at the moment, but I need to know how things will work out. I intend to live in Japan when I get much older, but I am trying to figure out the factor of getting a career there. Can I use an American college degree to get a career in Japan? Or must I attend college in that country to get a career there?
Studying Abroad - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Moving to Japan is not as simple as moving to another state. In order to work in Japan you'll need a visa. While there are different types the one to allow you to work there is a "work visa" and requires a company to sponsor you; often before you even get to Japan. If you plan on working in the medical field you'll have to be absolutely amazing at your position on top of being fluent in Japanese. After all, why would a Japanese clinic hire a foreigner who doesn't know how things are run (how Japan and America approaches health care and treating the sick is VERY different) and isn't fluent in the language so she can't speak to the patients or the other doctors with no problem when they can just hire a native Japanese person who fits both requirements on top of also being Japanese? The most common jobs in Japan involve English. English teacher, English interpretor, English translator, tall English man for them to gawk at... It generally doesn't involve much beyond that. Of course, naturally, there are plenty of people who are foreign and do work in an office or something that doesn't involve them teaching or even using English, but they're a minority. Maybe you could look into what it takes about working in Okinawa in the medical field (i.e. for the army).





Read more discussions :