Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Is it possible to live in Japan knowing only Hiragana and Katakana, and no Kanji


Is it possible to live in Japan knowing only Hiragana and Katakana, and no Kanji?
lol Im just wondering if i can be able to survive in Japan knowing only Hiragana and Katakana, Kanji seems impossible to learn!
Japan - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Some simple publications will print the hiragana alongside the kanji, though significantly smaller. As for directional / road signs, they will usually offer the hiragana and romaji and sometimes even an "Engrish" translation. Still, I would recommend picking up a book like "Japanese For Busy People." Copies I have seen have featured typical signs you might come across. There is also a book called 250 Essential Kanji for Everday Use. Even if you don't plan on memorizing them, it might be a helpful guide.
2 :
I think you should really try learning Kanji! It's actually really fun to learn, even though it's a challenge. I only know about half the Hiragana so far, but I can write the Kanji for 日本語、犬、猫、月, 私、円 and 日. Yes, I know that's only 9 Kanji, and rather simple ones too, but I learned them simply by writing them over and over while remembering shape and line order. This is also how I'm learning Hiragana. There are thousands of complex kanji, however, with the right amount of effort you should know and remember enough to read some things Japan.
3 :
YES! I have lived in Tokyo for 6 years like that - its easy! My boss has been here 15 years and he knows less than I do! dont worry!
4 :
Many Filipina have not got accustomed to Kanji in Japan though, most of them are also living without critical problem. Knowing least some basic Kanji would be much easier to live in Japan without doubt.
5 :
Yes! I think you can surive in Japan without kanji. But, learing kanji is fun. You can lean kanji!!! Hang in there! Dont give up!!
6 :
Nothing to worry about! In public places like stations, there will always be an English translation on the bottom of signs or somewhere near. Restaurants usually have this too. Most times, there's a hiragana over a difficult kanji so people can read it. But kanji is fun, and you can usually see what the word means without knowing how to read the kanji. 諦めないで!頑張れ! (Don't give up! Do your best!)




Read more discussions :